Get Adobe Flash player

Markets in a Minute | 6/19/2015

For the Week Ending June 19, 2015

Markets reacted favorably as the latest Fed statement suggests an improving economy. Thursday’s jobless claims number supports the Fed’s stance.
The Fed did not raise policy rates at this week’s meeting, yet a hike is expected later this year. Exactly when a hike occurs remains data dependent.
Problems overseas between Greece and the E.U. are helping support rates. Investors are seeking the safety of our bonds, and that is good for rates.

Housing values have rebounded as about 90% of home owners have housing equity. The remaining 10% are expected to build equity over time.
Builders are showing a favorable outlook on home sales. There is a growing optimism that housing will continue to strengthen in the months ahead.
While housing starts were down slightly in May, building permits rose to their highest level in nearly 8 years. Permits signal growth in the coming months.

George Burns is credited as once saying, “Every morning when I get up, I read the obituary page. If my name’s not there, I shave.”

Rate movements and volatility are based on published, aggregate national averages and measured from the previous to the most recent midweek daily reporting period. These rate trends can differ from our own and are subject to change at any time.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email